Monday, May 4, 2009

reality check

Silence says a lot.  

Let's put it this way:  I wanted to write about the miracle of ordinary, and at first, a thousand and one things came to mind.   I wanted to tell you about all the ways I have come to believe in the holiness of flesh and blood, the glory of the incarnation.   I wanted to tell  you about e.e. cummings (how should tasting touching hearing seeing/breathing any-lifted from the no/of all nothing-human merely being/doubt unimaginably You?) and Gerard Manley Hopkins (The world is charged with the granduer of God. It will flame out, like shining from shook foil)  I wanted to tell you about how my heart was broken and healed, a hundred times over, by "the touch of the holy once more" (Annie Dillard).

My heart burned.  Words tumbled in my head, wrestling to come out first.  The idea grew grand. I will write a book.  This is a call from God.  It is a message to our nation - a call to simplicity of lifestyle during a time of financial crisis.   

I did not write them down, and as time passed, I felt the burning no longer.  I tried to resurrect them a few weeks ago, but they tumbled into a pile of dry bones.

Silence speaks loudly. In the past few months, ordinary life has been a bane, not a blessing.  The expectations placed on me at work have felt oppressive, and the work that awaits me at home has seemed never-ending.  Disorder breeds in cupboards, paperwork procreates while I sleep, dust bunnies multiply at an alarming rate.  It is a veritable flood of chaos. 

I fling aside my goal of a fit, trim body by summer. I toss my dream of writing into the pile of dirty clothes hanging from my grandmother's rocking chair.  I grab a bucket, and fight the chaos with all my strength. My bucket has a hole. It is a loosing battle.

This morning, my husband asks me to sit on the back porch with him and pray.  Prayer is the last thing I want to do.  I can't stop now. I'm in a battle against chaos. I've got to keep bailing. Got to keep moving.  I slump heavily into the chair next to him.  I cross my arms and scowl like a teenager.  Anne, you've got to find those papers today that we need to reapply for the kid's visas.  I snap at him.  I know. Don't tell me any  more things I have to do.  If you want to pray, let's pray.  He reads a Psalm. I look around and see that the grass is high from all the rain and needs mowing.  He prays.  I think how I have to move the apple tree I planted last summer to a new position. It is too close to the house.  It is my turn. I don't want to pray.  

I break my silence.  God, I'm not in a good place. God, I am tired of giving. Tired of serving. Tired of cooking and cleaning and vacuuming up animal hair.  I am tired of people.  I am tired of working.  Every where I look there is something or something that needs something from me.  I can't relax. I can't stop.  My heart is a dirty rag, reeking of anger and bitterness.  I can't change the things around me, or remove the things that need to be done.  But I can't live this way anymore.  Please change my perspective. Please change my heart.

Craig and I are very much alike.  We are both busy people, prone to do too much and take on too much.  As a result, life often feels chaotic for us.  We aren't very good at stopping.  After hearing me, my dear husband said, Anne.  I am going to tell you what to do today.  Right now, I want you to go for a bikeride for 15 minutes. And then I want you to come back and write.  I began to cry.  I don't want to stop. I don't want to go for a bikeride. I don't want to write.  But then again, I do.  I do.  I looked up, and there, on a nearby rope I had tied to keep the dogs from racing through my flowers, a beautiful yellow bird had landed.  Brillliant yellow, with a bit of black.  

I have gone on my bikeride.  And, in true Anne fashion, I spent my time daydreaming. I daydreamed about how cool it would be to buy the fields behind the college and get grants to turn them into nature trails for children.  I wondered who owned them, and how I could contact them, and if the charter school could be involved in planting trees along the trail.  More ideas. More projects. More things to do.

I enjoyed the daydream, but when I came home, I tossed it into the wind.   I sat down, and turned on the computer. It had been so long I couldn't remember the password to even enter my blog.  Eventually, I found my way home, and I broke my silence.

The storm is passed, the air is clear, and I feel much calmer now.  My delusions of grandeur are spent.  I will probably never write a book.  My body will reflect my 45 years of life on this earth this summer.  Most days, ordinary life seems a far cry from miraculous. I am humbled by my inability to live out my own ideals.
But here's the thing.  Can I extend the same grace to myself that I am seeking to extend to the world?  Can I believe that though I am broken and incomplete,  shabby in body and soul, I am a miracle of grace?  Can I believe that the grandeur of God flames out, like shining from shook foil,  from this imperfect family in this insignificant little  town in the middle of Kansas? If so, then I can believe, once again, in the miracle of ordinary.

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs -
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Gerard Manley Hopkins.

3 comments:

  1. Anne, this is really beautiful. I can feel your pain and your resurrection through your words. Thanks for vulnerably sharing your heart through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears running down my face. So, so beautiful. There are a hundred things I want to say about how I connected with what you wrote, but instead I will just say thank you. And please, when you can, please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anne,
    Just what I needed to hear....

    ReplyDelete